Monday, September 16, 2013

More Q & A with Mom


Q.  Please describe your apartment... where you eat, sleep, and study.
A.  Right now its a little cramped, with 3 people. It is a little smaller than my room at Wyview but, in general, it follows the Honduran tradition of no hallways, just one large main room, with 2 larger rooms that open of from it. In the main room we have our desks and kitchen area. This is usually where we study and eat. Just off that room are 2 rooms, the bedroom, with nothing much more than our three beds, and kind of a storage room. In there we have 2 wardrobes, (I share with Elder Amaya), and all our empty suitcases, off this room is the bathroom, which has running cold water. Its so hot here though, a cold shower is a relief. Every week we clean it, we just did today.

Q. Is it raining a lot? Are you using your umbrella?
A.  It rains, but we usually use it as an excuse to teach a slightly longer lesson. That is one thing I have noticed here, when people invite you to teach them, they save a lot of time to talk to you. In general, we don't have too many lessons per day, because each one is 1 hour to 1.5 hours long. I bring my umbrella if it looks bad at the beginning of the day, but not usually. If we have to run out in the rain, we just run, and hurry to our next appointment. Last night it was bad, and our last investigators were nice enough to lend us 2 umbrellas, we will return them tomorrow I think.

Q. How are your shoes/feet holding up?
A. The combination of my good socks and shoes has really helped. I think it helps that I am no stranger to walking. When I get home, I pull off my shoes, and put on my flip flops, and just rest for a while. By the way, that shoe dryer was worth it so far. I have used it several times when the water is up to my calves. Which has only been twice so far, but that's twice in 2 weeks.

Q. How many members would you estimate in your branch?
A. We have about 150 people in our branch, but only about 40-50 are active. Its a real problem here. People are ready to hear about God, and learn about the gospel, but it is hard to keep them active when the same network of members that exists in Utah, doesn't exist here yet. Our branch area is huge, and they don't probably see other members very often. I hope that the people I convert will stay in, but I need to show them how they can strengthen themselves daily. If you have any ideas down this road, I will gladly receive them.

Q. Are you using your music skills more now that you are in the field?
A. Mildly interesting thing about that, it seems the unspoken rule in the field that every lesson have an opening song. I like it because it invites the spirit. President Funi (Elders Quorum President) found out I play the violin, and told me he knows where I can buy one, but I'm not sure that's worth it yet. Also, the mission rules say that missionaries should not have instruments, so I don't know. Because we don't have someone to play the piano in church, we usually sing acapella, which compared to the Tabernacle Choir is off tune, but these people sing with their hearts. They sing their testimonies, and I appreciate that. It isn't uncommon to change keys a couple times during a song, and that annoys me sometimes, but it is good.

Q. How are the mosquitoes? Are you using your mosquito net?
A.  I am not sure where to hang it from yet, I usually just cover myself completely with my sheet and curl up. The mosquitoes are bad, but not so bad its awful. Usually during the prime mosquito time, we are in a lesson, and we don't have to worry. I have had a few bites, but not many. If its really bad, I use bug spray.

Q. Did you get a picture with President Hernandez when you arrived?
A. Yes, another Elder took them with his camera, because mine was dying by that time. I need to track him down...

 We have several investigators with problems right now, but our area is rich with people that want to hear the gospel. We should hopefully have several baptisms this and next week. We just need to get our people to church twice (that's the mission policy), and get a few people married.