Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Advice for the Mexico City MTC

Elder Henrie with his companion Elder Jones at the Mexico City MTC

THINGS I AM GLAD A BROUGHT TO THE MEXICO MTC:

Probiotics
Although the food is good, the water might not be.  The MTC gives you a filtered water bottle, USE IT.  I am really
appreciating the probiotics my mom sent with me, I have not gotten sick as some of the other elders have.

Mosquito Net
It is really hot at nights.  So usually you would want to sleep with minimal coverings.  But there are a lot of mosquitoes!  You could get eaten alive! I put up my mosquito net and I have been fine, the other guys either have
to sweat all night under blankets, risk the bugs, or they spray themselves down with bug spray every night (which is greasy and gross).

Snacks
I brought some snacks, just some Swedish fish and some hi chews.  The MTC wants you to be really careful with these (THERE ARE COCKROACHES), but it can be just the thing as a pick-me-up at the end of a busy day.

A Positive Attitude
I am really lucky to have a great companion and teacher.  However, they keep you really busy and they expect you teach a lesson in Spanish on your third day.  Things can get really tough.  Remember that the point of the MTC is not to have perfect Spanish, the point is to learn how to teach well in any language.
Remember that Heavenly Father will help you if you will let him.

THINGS TO KNOW:

The Mexico MTC provides you with Spanish scriptures, preach my gospel, and such. They also provide language learning materials.

They give each missionary sheets for his-her bed.  You can use your own, but they won't wash them like they do the ones they gave you.

They also provide a Filtered water bottle.

The rooms are nice, not 5 star hotel nice, but nice. 

The entire staff is Spanish speaking:

Part of the best part of the Spanish MTC is that you get a lot of practice.  If you don´t want something at dinner, YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM IN SPANISH.  Practice basic phrases like No Quiero (I don't want).  Quiero este (with a point, this is I want this, there are multiple choices).  If you need help, find another elder who has been there longer or one of the teachers.  They eat with you so they can help.

Cafeteria Food
The food is great, it's all Mexican in origin and I have had to get used to some different food. It's all really good, but I have had to get used to some different stuff.



THINGS I LEARNED THIS WEEK:

One of the most interesting things I learned this week is that LDS missionaries are not normal dictionary missionaries.  A normal dictionary missionary shares the gospel with people.  A great LDS Missionary is a servant of God, representing JESUS CHRIST, and helping people have better lives.

I had to learn that you can't just teach someone the lessons in Preach my Gospel.  An important part is learning to forget the lesson plan, and know the gospel well enough to teach them what the need to hear first.  You have to learn to ask questions that help to reveal people´s concerns.  Then you have to be familiar enough with the lessons and with the scriptures to address those first.  Then, as you teach the rest of the lessons, make sure that they apply to the person.

Memorizing the lessons word for word is helpful, but you can't be a tape recorder.  Every Investigator is different and you need to have the Holy Ghost with you so you can help them.  Remember that Jesus spent his time serving, and addressing people's needs, as well as (and maybe more often than) teaching.

I love you all!  I'm excited for those of you who will come in coming weeks.

Yo se que el libro de mormon es verdadera.
I know that the Book of Mormon  true.

Yo se que Jose Smith es un profeta.
I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet.

Yo se que Dios nos ama, y quiere estar feliz.
I know that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

En el nombre de Jesuchristo, Amen.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

CCM President Pratt with his wife.