Monday, July 22, 2013

I'm officially ordained as a missionary!

Well, its finally official.  It seems weird, but my name kind of changed tonight.  I am no longer, Graigry Henrie, I am now Elder Henrie.  Tomorrow I go to Mexico, and leave my family for two years.

I don't really think that it will sink in for me until I've been out for a while.  Then one day, I'll suddenly realize, I'm not going back there, not for a while.  I hope I'm having a good enough day to brush it off, and concentrate on the work.

I guess I do love that I'm not really leaving my family.  I'm just going to a distantly related part of it.  I'm going to meet people that are my Brothers and Sisters, Brothers and Sisters who don't know why they are here.  I have the opportunity to teach them who they are.

I have talked with a lot of people who have gone on missions.  I've tried to ask for advice from every person I've talked to.  There was a lot of good advice in there, but the one that really stands out right now, is some from Jessica's friend Zachary Landers.  He just got back and so I asked him what his advice was.  He looked me in the eye and said something along the lines of:

Never let something negative that happened in the past, affect something that is happening in the present.  Don't let a horrible day stop you from teaching someone the best you can.  You have to remain optimistic, when you do, you have success.

I know that I have an opportunity here, soon to enter the MTC.  I can have the attitude that I'm leaving somewhere, or I can have the attitude that I'm going somewhere I'm needed more.  I hope over the next few days, weeks, months, and years, that I maintain this attitude.
 All the family after the setting apart.  President Lefler said it was the first time he had set apart a brother and sister on the same night.
 Dad, ?, President Lefler, Elder Henrie, Grandpa Anderson
Walking home after being set apart.