Monday, March 3, 2014

The Nasty Surprises


When you look at my pictures, you will probably see two of my feet and go WHAT!  I thought you said you didn`t have any problems!  (I am not going to post the pictures as they are gross.)

This reaction is totally normal.

To tell you the truth, I THOUGHT, I didn`t have any problems.  But on Monday my feet started looking funny, so I told Hma Smart, and she checked me out during the Zone Conference on Wednesday.  She told me I DID have a problem, and sent my pictures to the AMA or the Doctor of the missions of Central America.  

First of all, it is NOT DANGEROUS, NOR AS BAD AS IT LOOKS.  The first picture looks really horrible because I had just put on melaluca oil (which helped).  I have some sort of non contagious bacterial infection that occurs when you sweat a lot from your feet and are walking all day in that sweat (So, I blame Dad`s genes for that one!).  

I included the second pictures to show you what happens when the nurse takes care of you.  As you can see, she is VERY good at her job.  I have to do a mountain of stuff now, but it keeps my feet healthy.  I must know put on a strange paste 3 times a day, change my socks three times a day, soak my feet in a vinegar bath once a day, and take an antibiotic.  It sounds like a lot of work, and from what I hear, its also overkill, but Hma Smart said she wanted to make sure that it is GONE GONE, and that I will not get it again.  It is already healing nicely (as you can see from the second pictures).

Its kind of ironic, because I remember a couple of weeks ago when you asked me if I had problems with my feet, and I said none, or I am in for a nasty surprise.  I guess the Lord listened and humbled me a little.
Saying goodbye to Abuela

The other surprise this week is the President told us we had emergency changes, meaning I have officially never changed areas in normal changes.  We still have the same companions, but the 4 of us (Elder Porter and Elder Herrarte as well) are officially Elders of Guaymuras now, not of Tatumbla.  

Reopening an area is fun, it means we knew noone, and nothing.  We spent a couple of fun days just wandering with a list of references, finding the old investigators of the Hermanas.  One of my new ZL`s, Elder Woods came to help (he was nice like that).  We still have to find a good part.

For me, I had a beautiful confirmation that we were supposed to be here on our second day.  We were talking with an investigadora de las Hermanas, that her only problem was that she is going to the University (I am in like the Honduras equivilant of Provo, everyone is going to school, works for the school, or gets paid because of the money the students spend) and she said she had a lot of Homework and can`t go to church.  I told her that before my mission I was studying too, but that my Bishop promised me that if I gave time to the Lord for church, that I could complete all my homework, and understand my classes better as well.  She went to church this week!

We also went to talk with one of their old investigadors and we fell right in with him.  We were his friends right from the start.  Now we just have to teach him.  We have a lesson with him today...tell you how that goes next week.

We were also just walking, and (as is our habit as misioneros) saying hello to everyone we passed.  We passed a young father with his daughter on his shoulders and said the same to him.  He then stopped us, and told us something interesting.

He vivido aqui muchos años, y he visto algo interesante.  Los evangelicos, cuando salgan de iglesia, salgan con su biblia y no saludan a nadie.  Los testigos de Jehova y los Catolicos son lo mismo.  Pero Los Mormones siempre me saludan.  Les vì ahorita y me dije, ellos van a saludarme, y lo hizieron.  

(I have lived here a long time, and have seen something interesting.  The Evangeligists (I think this is the word), when they leave church, leave with their biblia and don`t greet anyone.  The Jehovas witnesses and the Cathlocs are the same.  But the Mormons always greet me.  I saw you now and said to myself, they are going to greet me, and you did it.)

It was just a small story that made me think of the small things we do can make a big difference in the lives of others.  People know we are mormons, and what we do, (or don`t do) makes a difference.  I don`t know if that guy knows it yet, but he gave us a reference, of himself.  Wish me the ability to teach with Poder and Autoridad.

For me, these last few days have been a confirmation of the decision of the Lord to switch our areas.  It seems like every day we meet someone that I feel like we can teach and help to make covenants.  The Lord never said his plan would be easy or pleasurable, but he did promise that it was the best plan there could ever be.

This week we had a Zone Conference, which means all the missionaries from a given area go to a large church and we listen to talks by the leaders of the mission.

The biggest thought I pulled out of it is that I am using the bible to much.

It sounds a little strange, but it was revelation to me.  I have liked using the bible, because it is what the majority of our investigators are familiar with.  But it is not as clear as El Libro de Mormon, nor is it as important.  The Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion, nothing will change that, nor will it ever change.  It contains basic doctrines explained in simple ways.  It answers questions that ministers from other faiths argue and fight about a lot.

I will now be using it a lot more!

It was a good weekend, and I love our new zone.  Today we played Water Balloon Volleyball (with towels), and we got permission to watch a movie.  It was a good relaxation, and now we are just writing and we are going to work!

I love you guys!  The Lord loves you!  He has a plan, and its a perfect plan.  If you put your will with his, you see miracles.  Thank you for your prayers.

Elder Henrie